Thursday, March 2, 2017

THE ANSWERED PRAYERS CHRONICLES

BASKETBALL and HUMILITY 1992

After yet another unfinished basketball game, due to my temper, I sat frustrated on the sidelines.   I have the Doyle temper, full of passion and justified anger - pointedly at sporting situations.  I'm not violent, just REALLY vocal.  I usually got a technical foul or simply fouled out (sometimes before half time).  Once I calmed down, I felt foolish and guilty.  I hated those feelings.  The embarrassment, each time it happened, didn't seem enough to keep it from happening over and over again.  That is when I realized the Lord would need to be the one to help me.

I prayed fervently to my Heavenly Father to take away my impatient, unruly, uncontrolled temper.  My expectations were high and I was ready to be humble...right away.  (Notice I said "humble" not "humbled").  I don't what I thought would happen, maybe just a magic wand swish and BOOM, calm Steph.  My time-table was quick and efficient and I was ready, but the Lord's timetable never seems to coincide with mine and it was a while before I knew what happened.

Who prays for humility, you may ask?!  Stupid people.  Like me.

My life had been pretty easy going up to that point...and is still relatively easy, to be honest...but not the point.  I was a good student with great grades and I danced on a team doing what I loved, I had great friends and a wonderful family.  I never really lived disappointment.  Well, that all changed after I prayed to be humble.  I tried out for the drill team, and knew I'd make it (another Doyle trait)...but then didn't.  I tried out for songleader/cheerleader and was sure I would make it...but didn't.  I wanted to be a lifeguard and applied for the job and knew I'd get it (because every other Doyle did)...but didn't.  I was not used to this feeling at all and it was HORRIBLE.  My heart was broken.  There were many tears.  I was not used to not getting my way or being successful and that is a rough transition.  Better late than never, I guess.

Life didn't end and I didn't sink into an abyss, but luckily things did start improving.  I asked a friend about why I didn't get the lifeguard position and she seemed surprised and informed me that I had gotten it after all, I cheered on the JV team of misfit toys and felt like they were my people, and I started a new basketball season without really remembering my prayers from the previous year.  It wasn't until the game was over that I noticed the difference.  Laughing and goofing around after the game I realized that I had finished the game!  Enjoyed it even.  That season our team played unified and better than we'd ever played before (and with an undefeated record until region).  I don't know exactly how to explain it, but my soul loved the freedom from the uncontrolled anger and I've been unconditionally happy ever since.

I thank my Heavenly Father every day (give or take) for the lessons/trials he provides for me in strengthening those traits I see as my weaknesses.  He is ever aware of my prayers and always answers them.  Luckily, it is NEVER how I choose them to be answered.  I know He wants happiness for me, so I trust that whatever happens will work out in the end.  

No comments: