Monday, March 13, 2017

THE ANSWERED PRAYERS CHRONICLES

          THE DOYLES VS. THE SNAKE RIVER
           The raging Snake River roared in front of me.  My body was stiff with petrified nerves as I prepared to enter the unstable canoe with my brother’s friend.  We had a quick how-to lesson of canoeing with our guides and a group of scouts, with whom we were venturing.  I felt unprepared and terrified to conquer my fear of water just then, but continued on with the group. 
            A small scout, about the height of a counter top, pointed out the fact our canoe was backward, as I stepped into my place up front.  Great, I couldn’t even tell.  We turned the canoe around and departed the safety of the shore and I, white knuckled, began to paddle.
            We had been given the choice to go left, safely past the first set of rapids, or take the rapids head on in the first minute of our trip.  For some reason we didn’t make it left and we headed straight into the crashing walls of water.  As the water enclosed us over and over again I said a silent prayer to my Heavenly Father,
  …Please help me.  Help me have a good trip.  Please keep me in the boat, I don’t want to fall out of the boat, please keep me in the boat…please…please…”
            Mid prayer a wave of water, that blocked the sun with its enormity, closed over the top of us, throwing us both into the cold water and over-turning the canoe in one sweeping motion.  It happened so quickly and yet, in slow motion.   The river hit me with an iron fist of frozen water.  I lost my breath and sucked in water instead of air.  It was over in an instant and we floated calmly in the eddy, paddle in the right hand and canoe in the left.  I inhaled air in small gasps, I’m not sure if it was from the cold or the fear.  In the smooth water, I calmed. In my calmed state I prayed again,
“Heavenly Father, I thought I specifically asked NOT to fall in the water.  I prayed with faith and everything and yet here I am floating in the water, did I miss something?!”
            We flipped our canoe and struggled to heave our numb, soaked bodies over the edges, that seemed too tall to be a part of the small canoe in which we started.  Once in the boat, the blood returned to my limbs and I helped paddle us back to the group.  The thought crossed my mind, “well, that wasn’t so bad”.  The fear dissipated and I welcomed the raging waters, enjoying the journey to the end. 
            The sun warmed our damp clothes and skin.  Many more tumbles into the intense river came, but without the panic as before.   Because of the roll in the river at the beginning of the run, I didn’t dread the water as I had that morning.  This allowed me to relax and enjoy the bumpy ride.  And when the ride ended I was both sad that it was over and pleased to be on dry land. 
            “But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things.        Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.” 
(2 Nephi 2:24-25)

            Yes, I prayed with thanksgiving to a loving Father who listened to me and heard what I needed, not what I said.   A Father who knew that staying in the canoe wasn’t important in the big picture, but actually falling in the water, right up front, would be more beneficial.  I don’t always know what I need, but I have faith in God to interpret my prayers with His knowledge and in the end, He will give me happiness.

No comments: