Saturday, January 3, 2009

joyeux noel (part 2)



Mom and Dad met me at the little airport.  I was so excited to see them I and I wanted to just hug them forever, but didn’t.  Just the normal hugs.  We went to the mission office to wait for my baggage (and so mom could do some office work).  I enjoyed seeing them at work in the mission office.  They are important and have many little projects along with the larger projects.  Many things going on at the same time.  I think they were worried that I wanted to just run everywhere and see everything at once, but I just wanted to hang out with them doing whatever they do.  That night we went to the Stake president’s home for dinner with the other couples (The Hinmans, The Jarvises, The Gardners, and the Petersons - Mission President, his wife and daughter). 

 

French members are awesome!  They were kind and hilarious.  They had just returned from las vegas.  I tried to join conversation as much as possible, but my brain was so tired that it was hard to focus.  During dinner I would hear someone whisper, “oh she must be exhausted, should we have her sleep upstairs...” then I would realize my eyes were closed.  Oops.  President Peterson had talked about his power naps, so I took one next to the fireplace.  It was toasty and in the corner.  They sang and talked while I slept.  I woke up for the Christmas Eve spiritual stuff.

 


 bags arrived Christmas morning J  The elders signed for them, so they got one of the Costco jars of peanut butter.  Mom and Dad went through all of the items, some new some old, like they were all a surprise from Santa.  Dad couldn’t have been happier about his California squeegee or his copy of Jesus the Christ.  Mom looked great in all of her new clothes! 

 headed to Mt. Blanc.  It took about an hour and a half.  Mom and dad are not big talkers so it was difficult to stay awake in the silence.  The country side was beautiful and the sun eventually showed its face  HOORAY!  It felt like park city with skiers everywhere and all speaking a different language.  Mom and dad spent all their time and money on a cow bell - very Suisse.  I made dad buy a ski hat with the side wings.  He is sick and its so cold he’ll never get better if he doesn’t cover his head.  We’ll see if he wears it after I leave.  He and mom are against dressing warm.

We didn’t stay long, just long enough to take some sweet shots and head back.  I kept trying to get a picture of hore frost(?) -the white cover of the trees- but I was taking pictures out the window at high speeds, some turned out.. surprisingly.

 





 made it back to be a little late to lunch at the President’s home.  We passed Les Soeurs.  They didn’t have power and had just missed their train home.  The American Soeur looked so sad and said it was the worst day ever.  My heart hurt for her.  We had another couple of hours at the table.  We ate Hawaiian haystacks - yum!  The couple missionaries are hilarious and interesting, so many different personalities, yet so much the same.  We went shopping for dinner at the new Costco (Hyper Champion).  Baguettes and Pain au chocolat were my main staples anything else didn’t matter.  I think I drank a gallon of chocolat chaud while there.  Nothing is as sweet as American stuff, but I love it... maybe even more.

 

No comments: