Wednesday, January 21, 2009

1st day of 2rd term.  1st day of 2nd semester.  1st day of math and dance.  (Lots of firsts).  First time calling 911 for a student.  

I had to prepare lesson plans for a substitute in dance class.  Because I've never had these students before (1st day remember) I had to be creative.  Usually they have a warm up and dances they can do, but I don't even know who they are yet... hence the creative lesson plans.  I thought I would have them fill out a dance questionaire, but was too lazy to make my own I Googled some.  They were all medical forms.  I've never used medical forms, but thought it might be a good idea.  So, I added some medical questions with the dance questions.  

Dance class was a good practice to see how the next day would go with the substitute (time wise).  I passed out the medical forms and the disclosure statements.  We covered all the basics and then did some dancing.  The kids took a break and got a drink.  Two girls walked in, hoping to be my TAs.  As I talked to them, their friend came up all excited to see them then she took a step away and fell flat on her face.

Weird.  I thought she was just goofing around (girls do this all the time in jr. high), but then she started to convulse on the floor.  She was spitting saliva and lots of blood and her body went completely stiff and her eyes rolled back into her head.  I tried to calm her down (and me).  I've delt with seizures before and they usually end in a few seconds...a minute at the most.  This kept going, so using my training from many years as a lifeguard and endless CPR/first aid classes, I picked a specific student and YELLED at him to get Coach Kelly.  The kid just looked at me, no movement.  I yelled again. Nothing.  hmmm... so I picked a girl whose name I knew and yelled for her to get the coach.  Nothing.  Who are these kids?!  Finally she left to get coach.  
She came and I left to call 911 (the one day I didn't have my cell phone on me).  I was very calm and contacted everyone I needed to.  When the paramedics came I was happy that I had these medical forms (that I've never had before) to give them any info they needed... and no, she did not put seizures on her form of conditions she has.

Whew!  She is fine and this was not her first.  I handled the kids, teachers, principal, and situation better than I thought I would in an emergency.   Lets hope that never happens again!

4 comments:

Claudia said...

Wow! What a way to start the semester! Hope the rest of it is boring compared to this day!

Bridget said...

I knew it! I knew that life guard training would come in handy one day. Although, it sounds like you have had some additional training in the last 15 years or so.

Congrats on keeping your head and getting that girl the help she needed.

Sandra said...

Wow, that's scary Steph! But you handled it like a pro! I'm glad that you did those medical questionnaires.

Sarah said...

Scary! Sounds like you handled it well. Maybe you should have a creative dance lesson on "running for help". :>