Sunday, November 30, 2008

Primary isn't for sissies

Last Sunday I was sustain as a "primary worker".  That means they can do whatever they want with you, in there.  Someone dropped off the manual during the week and nothing else was said.  I was nervous to teach in primary since I've never done it before.  I have no idea how everything works.  I found a schedule of lessons in the manual so I studied and prepared a great lesson on Moroni and having faith in Jesus Christ.

I took my back pack to church with all of my primary/church materials in it (having to take tape and scissors, markers and paper - ridiculous!).  After sacrament meeting I stood in the hallway.  Where is primary?  Where is the library?  What am I doing?  Jenicee pointed to the sharing time room and I walked in and looked around.  I'm still new and don't really know a lot of people, so with the one ward leaving and ours coming in, I had no idea where I was supposed to be.  I hoped that someone would come show me, but I just looked around for awhile.  

The boys from the left of the room said, "I think that is our new teacher" and came right over and showed me where they sit.  I sat by them and Mason introduced himself and asked if he could take roll.   Sure.  By the time opening exercises started they were all on the row in front of me and I was sitting alone.  Hmmm.

Because primary teachers tend to not show up (I guess), I was asked to take the class just under mine as well.  So I had a crazy group of kids.  The lesson I planned was obviously for a more advanced group...such as adults (because that is who I am used to teaching).  Next class I will definitely have more hands on interactive learning.  By the end of sharing time (closing exercises) I really liked these kids.  We had a great day together and I'm excited to teach them again.  I guess praying for a desire to like this calling really came back to bless me.  I'm actually disappointed that I won't be there next Sunday (baby blessing) and hope they miss me (not that they'd ever tell me)!

3 comments:

Bridget said...

You survived! It is true about primary teachers not showing up and it is even harder to get people to accept the calling. I bet the boys will love you as their teacher.

Claudia said...

You are awesome for accepting a calling outside of your comfort zone, and for wanting to do well. You will be surprised at how quickly you bond with your kids, and how much they will look forward to your lessons... If you ever get an itch to move, we could sure use you in our ward!

Sandra said...

I'm glad that you ended up comfortable and liking Primary. It's a fun place to be. You will be awesome in Primary, you're a great teacher. Next time don't fill your back pack with markers, sciossors etc, that's what the library is for! You're going to have a blast, I can tell, who wouldn't with you?!?!