Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Reality Bites

Last weekend while watching the Olympics, I saw a news story in Magna UT.  A woman stabbed to death in her home with her 14 year old daughter terrified at the neighbors waiting for the police.  What a horrible story.   Then life went on and I watched some other stories, some lame thing about a puppy stuck in someone's vent and the entire fire dept. working to get him free...blah blah blah.  It wasn't until late that night when I received a phone call from one of my girls that asked if I'd heard the story of my captain's mom. 

I felt sick to my stomach and I needed release.  I tossed and turned, called a friend, texted another until I got someone.  I talked to my roommate who just brushed it off, ugh.  I really didn't know what to do.  I wanted to cry, but couldn't (and still can't).  I feel very angry, but then really sad over and over.  Many students, parents and teachers are calling me to find out information and what I'm doing about it.  I don't really know where to start.  I don't dare call her and I don't dare ask the girls how they're doing or how she's doing because I don't know if I can deal with their reactions.  What if they need comfort from me, I don't know that I can give it.  I found out funeral stuff and that is about all I can give people when they ask me all sorts of things.  I saw her best friend (her "jeani" ) today and just smiled and said hi.  I couldn't bring myself to say anything.  It seems so unfair.

 I don't know if she's okay.  I don't know where she is.  I don't know if she'll go to my school.  I don't know if she's with her brother or dad.  I don't know her relations.  I don't know if she even likes her dad.  I don't know, but maybe I should...I just can't.

I pray for her and her family.  I know the Lord has the power to comfort and I hope that she feels it and that this doesn't ruin her life.  She is amazing!

1 comment:

Amber Bailey Stevenson said...

That is terrible!!!! I'm sorry Steph. This world has some really crappy stuff going on, and a lot of really innocent people getting hurt.
Of course my advice would be to call her. Even if you don't know what to say, I think the spirit will help you through it. It would probably mean an awful lot to her to know that you care. Who knows you might not have to say anything...just listen. Or maybe see if you can find out where she is and take her some cookies or something or just go the the funeral. You are much better handling things in person, than on the phone! ;)
Just anything to know that you're thinking about her. Think about what people said to you to comfort you when you found out you had cancer.
Good Luck amiga.
:]