Sunday, August 24, 2008

New Year's...for teachers.

Tomorrow is the first real day of school (Friday is for 7th graders only).  Usually I am really prepared, but I still can't fathom working starting tomorrow.  YIKES!  This year I am teaching 2 pre-algebra classes and 4 dance classes.  My dance program is really growing, I love it!  I usually have some goals set up and my first weeks planned...not so for tomorrow.  In my head I am still planning on reading at the pool :)

I feel a little more involved in my ward.  I went VT on Tuesday and met a lot of new people.  I had to call and set up the appts.  It was difficult for me, but I just sat myself down and did it.  Whew.  Wednesday I received several calls from people from my ward.  Family wards are a whole new world of Church.  I was able to answer questions about my VTee to someone from RS, she and I were both surprised I had any information about her, but I was helpful.  Later, I was asked to teach RS lesson in September on the Plan of Salvation and then the RS presidency called to set up an appt. to visit Thurs.  I was all RSed out by the end of school (in a good way, obviously).  Today I was asked to speak next week on Charity.  I hope they won't be sick of me :)  - as if that's ever possible.

Yesterday Sandra, Ali and I went to Provo to finish Becky's bathroom - curtains, caulking, touch ups etc.  We arrived at her cul-de-sac and there were cars parked on every inch of the street and houses.  People were coming in and out of her house with wood and furniture.  I was confused so I called Becky.  She said she was on her way and didn't show any signs that she knew anything was happening, so I said nothing.  She told me to go try the door, I just said "yeah, its open" 

Her coworkers (teachers) got together and donated time and stuff to finishing her house.  What a great faculty!  They organized it at faculty mtg. while Becky was called out to the office.  She cried, of course, when she arrived.  The curtains are adorable (I always forget to take pictures at the time I enter my blog - to come).  I was just happy to apart of something so great...even if we weren't invited.

2 comments:

Mandalynn said...

I also start school tomorrow. I'm super excited for this year. I'm only teaching one thing - 7th grade reading. It's already made planning SO easy. I have the first 5 weeks planned and copies made for the first 4 weeks.

You'll have to tell me all about your family ward. I'm thinking of making the switch in the next couple months, but am pretty nervous about it.

Anyway, great luck at school!!

Sandra said...

Like anyone could get sick of Miss Stephanie Doyle...BAHAAA!!!! I didn't know you had made the switch over to a family ward. Do you like it? You'll be awesome. Do your roommates go too? Is Jenicee home yet?
Good luck with school, I'm sure you'll do awesome. I would have LOVED you for a teacher!!