Sunday, May 9, 2010

Breast Friends (girl's nite part 2)

THE RACE:

We awoke around 6:15 am. Some of the girls showered for the race, hmmm. Angie wore her "old" capris and forgot a shirt. We got ready and headed to the car. We left Ashley behind in the bathroom. 10 minutes later I returned to the hotel room to check on her. She wasn't there. In the back of my mind I rememebered the creepy guy that entered the building a minute ago and tried to recall any details about him. I came back to the car and she wasn't there either. I called her phone and no one answered. I freaked out a little in my head. Then she called. She was in the lobby.

We arrived to the bustle of Breast Friends, Ta Tas, 2nd basers, boobs etc. I love the ambiance of the race. Its quite spirited. I tried to retrieve my Chevron pink car, but another survivor ahead of me took the last one :( (with a little shove and a "I was here first" growl - she did not enjoy cancer I guess, she seemed really grumpy). My stomach was doing crazy things and I didn't feel so good. The mexican food was coming back to haunt me.

We met up with Andy and Tyson, Kevin and the boys, Ali, Sandra, Amanda, Brittany, Devon, and Corey. Later I ran into the Szymanski sisters (I sprinted up and kicked her in the bum) and my former students, Shelby and Aubrey (their mom has breast cancer too, I see them every year now - Shelby was my emo student I always worried about)!!

We headed to the starting line and I needed a bathroom RIGHT AWAY! It was an emergency, but with 18,000 people the restrooms were crowded with more than 50 people each! We walked to the starting line, where there were promises of more bathrooms, and there was another huge line of people waiting for port-a-potties. Just to inform you of my fear of port-a-potties, I've used probably only 3 in my life. I stood in line, ready to die. Beads of sweat were forming, I felt faint and really delusional. The feelings would come and go. I didn't think I'd make it and I prayed for help.

I was devising a plan of how to cut in line, so I didn't have an accident, when I saw Angela waving frantically for me to follow her. I did. She had found a random potty with only 4 people in line. When she had asked what they were in line for, they eyed her curiously and pointed to the potty, like it was too obvious for her to miss. It wasn't special or anything so she tried to flag me down from the line, gave up, and just ran and to get me. I was 8th in line now and knew I wouldn't make it. When there was only one person a head of me, I almost tackled her and pleaded for me to go ahead of her. She looked shocked, but allowed me to go! WHEW! I barely made it... and I felt better. I thanked my Heavenly Father for answering my prayers... and Angie for listening.

Andy, Tyson, and Ashley took off with the gunshot. I met up with the girl's and Kevin. We walked for a bit then Kevin took the lead with his 2 kid stroller and we trailed single-file behind him. He clipped a few walkers and cut off some wheelchairs, but he was persistant and we kept a steady pace. I believe we all ran more than the 3 miles because we cut across three lanes of traffic back and forth the entire time. I thought it went easily and quickly. I guess the company, music, and atmosphere made running feel easy.

I lined up with the other survivors and we stood around for 45 minutes. Old ladies cracking jokes about surviving cancer and dying in line waiting for the SURVIVOR'S parade. I have graduated to the next group - 6-10 year survivors! HOORAY! We got a pink carnation and a white one. One for us and one for those who support us! We walked through the thousands people and the cheered us on. My Breast Friends cheered super loud and waved!

We crammed hundreds of us onto the steps and got a group SURVIVOR picture taken (like we do every year). It is a very emotional time for most of these ladies. I just think its fun! They play the theme song and I dance along waving my flowers while others cry around me. One 84 year old lady told me to keep dancing because she was following my lead! Adorable!

I had another emergency potty stop (at a real bathroom) before I met up with my group again. Then we headed back to the hotel. Ashley went home with Andy - not feeling well.

SHOWER AND LUNCH:

We arrived at the lobby at noon (check out time) and asked for an extension to shower and get ready. They gave us until 2pm. She asked for our room number and seemed shocked. "We've been trying to get a hold of you since 7 this morning. You said your toilet was clogged, but had a do not disturb sign on your door" ha ha ha. So we checked, and sure enough our toilet was clogged - Ashley Janell and I were all suffering from the same thing... though we have no idea what that is. Mary took Heidi home and she went home to shower and get ready. We showed and got ready at the hotel and checked out by 1:30 pm. We met Mary at her house and went to a Bake for Hope sale (for breast cancer). We bought some goodies and met up again at Zupas.

I order my new staple (thanks to Mark) Nuts about Berries and turkey cranberry (no sprouts) pannini. DELICIOUS. Angie spilled her some of her soup, but ate like it never happened. We continued talking about stuff until our eyes started drooping... so tired. Another successfully fun GIRLS WEEKEND!


1 comment:

Heidi said...

haha I just re-lived the weekend again! so FUN. Thanks again for your generosity and planning :)