Wednesday, October 8, 2008

PB&J Sandwiches

Order of Operations, Day 1.
On the table:  Peanut Butter, Jam, Butter, a loaf of bread, a butter knife, and paper towels.

I ask the students to write down a "how to" for making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Then I follow their instructions ("because I've never made one before")... my favorite part!
"put the PB on the bread, duh?!"  So I take the jar of PB and set it on the loaf of bread.  The kids go wild, "NOOOO NOT ON THE BREAD!"  
"But you said put it on the bread."  
"Take out the bread first."  So I rip open the bag and take out two pieces of bread.  By this point some of them are catching on and yelling at me to ignore certain students' suggestions... "Ms. Doyle, listen to me I know how to do this...no don't do what HE says listen to ME!  Open the PB jar, put the knife inside the PB jar and scoop some up then spread it on the bread."
So I do as he said and then I spread it all over both pieces of bread, both sides.  HA HA HA!  

Half of the class is hysterical, they cannot believe I can't just follow their instructions the right way!  By the end, the invested students are standing and showing me what I should be doing (no longer capable of staying in their seats because I am so crazy), the rest of the students are trying to figure out how they can win the sandwich to eat after the lesson.  Of course I apply this to solving math equations, but they'll only ever remember that I made a messy sandwich! 

I love it!

2 comments:

The Livingstones said...

hi steph. it's nancy - your old roommate. good to see you are still the number one teacher!! we are in nevada. our life...dull compared to yours....but we like it. check out our blog http://nevadalivingstones.blogspot.com

Bridget said...

I wish you would have been my math teacher, then I wouldn't have had to look at Kim's paper for the answer. I mean get divine intervention everytime I needed an answer. BTW, we are at the Wintle's in Sandy right now and Sage is going to our old elementary school.