Friday, September 19, 2008

Get Smart

So I run my jr. high school.  :)  Every year I do a big opening assembly based on a recent movie.  Star Wars was my first and favorite.  It included capes, villians, storm troopers, video appearances of...the bad guy etc.  A few years ago we had a 007 theme and they entered by rappelling off the catwalk into the audience (thanks to a few soldiers from Camp Williams who came and helped).  That one is tough to top...and I've yet to come up with one better.

This year I had no desire to write another assembly, but felt obligated.  Without my inspiration (usually a dream or vision of a great idea) I just hoped the video I had planned in my head was good enough.  It was to the song "4 Minutes" by J. Timberlake and Madonna.  I based the video on getting to class on time ("I've only got 4 minutes to save the world" are the lyrics).  The video turned out to be one of my best (said by others, not myself).  To me, it was just another video...but everyone has been talking about it for days (yeah me!).  Imagine if I actually got paid for these things.  This year they entered on 4 wheelers - revving the engine and cheering - it was loud and fun...and I think a few of us got a little high off the gasoline fumes...

I was going to add the video to my blog, but realized it has my students in it and I would hate to have them exposed without permission.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Too bad :-( I would have loved to have seen it. It sounds like they are really lucky to have your imagination and creativity.

Sandra said...

That's too bad Steph, you should get their permission, I'd love to see it! I'm sure they wouldn't care, but their parents might! You are so talented! I think you should start a little side business or something. Making movies etc on a computer is awesome! What kind of computer do you have (or laptop)? We're looking into getting a new one and both Adam and I would love to make little video's.
Once again, I think you're the BEST! I would have loved a teacher young and hip like you. :)